My mom made cookbooks for us one Christmas, filled with lots of family recipes. My brother Robert picked up the torch in 2019 and shared a whole set of additional recipes… Including this breakfast casserole that is SO WORTH making the night before.
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 lb. sausage
- 5 eggs ( I used like, 10 )
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups half & half (don’t tell my trainer)
- 5 oz. grated cheddar cheese (oz = the right amount of coverage)
- Cut crust from bread, butter both sides and cut into cubes
- Place in bottom of casserole pan
- Sauté and drain sausage and crumble over bread
- Beat eggs, mix in half & half and salt, pepper
- Pour over bread and sausage
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Let set overnight in fridge
- Back 400 degress for 45-50 minutes
This breakfast casserole was from Ma-Maw (Lorena Barbour, and she preferred if you called her Grandmother).
And it is great anytime, even dinner.
I don’t think I have a photo of the finished casserole. It was delicious though. For many days.
(And I really am not a fan of leftovers.)
I’m learning to accept.